Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0962
This photograph shows the King William IV Dock at Dundee Harbour. The buildings in the background are in Greenmarket (to the left) and Dock Street (to the right).
The noble Victoria Arch stands on the pier between the King William IV and Early Grey Docks, with the No. 4 storage shed to the left. The Arch was built to celebrate a visit by the Queen and Prince Albert in 1844.
When the Tay Road Bridge was constructed in the early 1960s, the Arch was demolished (finally dynamite was used to remove the sturdy structure) into the docks, which were then land-filled to accommodate the slip roads.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.