Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0963
This photograph shows a small rowing boat, tied on to the stern of a larger ship, in Dundee Harbour. It is one of the very few photographs known by Alexander Wilson which seem more artistic and representative.
To the left hand side are storage sheds, but it is not clear which section of the harbour this is. Beyond are warehouses, most likely for storing timber, which was imported from the Baltic countries and Russia.
The sailing ships in the distance are unrecognisable. Dundee Harbour was almost always full, with regular coastal trading ships, the whaling and fishing fleets and the large sea-going cargo ships, bringing jute from India and Bangladesh.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.