Dock Street, Dundee

Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0146

This photograph shows the western section of Dundee's Dock Street, with Union Street leading northwards to the City Churches in Nethergate to the left and Whitehall Crescent behind Fairweathers.

Dixon's City Cycle Warehouse was owned by one of Dundee's inventors. A cutler by trade (he trained in his home town of Sheffield), Dixon patented many improvements to the bicycle and its tyres, and was among the first to deal in motor vehicles.

The buildings in the foreground were demolished to make for the Tay Hotel in the late 1890s. Nothing is known about either the City Photo Studio (whose work is on display outside the neighbouring building) or the Tay bridge Hairdressing Saloon.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?