Cowgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0991
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the junction of Dundee's Panmure Street (from behind the viewer), Murraygate (leading westwards to the left) and Cowgate (leading eastwards into the distance).
The 'extension sale' advertised to the right hand side is in George H. Rowbottom, the clothier's shop, which stood on the Murraygate corner for several decades.
Milne's tobacco factory was long gone. The shops below included James T. G. Millar, the hat manufacturer, and Alexander S. Wallace, a wines and spirits merchant. Millar had other shops at No. 104 Hawkhill and No. 21 Overgate.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.