City Churches, Dundee

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1410

Postcard view of Dundee City Churches from what would now be the Nethergate with a small market in front of the churches. In 1548, Dundee was stormed in a civil war between Scotland and England. The church was almost totally destroyed leaving only the Choir. The Choir and part of the old building were restored in 1590.

In 1788, the original building and The Tower were joined and opened as two separate churches known as The Cross and Steeple. These are described as the 2nd and 3rd Burgh Churches. The building was now its original shape and size but instead of one church was now four churches.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?