City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1891
In 1870 famous architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, was commissioned to devise a restoration plan for Dundee's late 15th century, Tower of St Mary's. The tower is more popularly known in Dundee as the Old Steeple. Scott proposed an addition to the tower of a crown, as seen in the photograph.
The crown was never built. However, it is interesting to note the words, "Restoration of the Crown," written underneath. There has been some debate about whether or not the Old Steeple ever had a crown in its long, turbulent history. Early drawings show the tower without a crown but much earlier records are now lost.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.