Butcher Row, Dundee - Ref: WC0048
Butcher Row and Fish Street, Dundee, were demolished in 1884 to make way for the elegance of Whitehall Crescent.
Butcher Row, 'where once the mansions of the wealthiest burgesses stood' (A. H. Millar: Haunted Dundee, 1923) led from the old Cholera Hospital at the foot of Union Street to the Greenmarket.
The last Dundee Directory listing is 1880-81, when the fish market was at No. 4 and the butter market at No. 6.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.