"Alice A. Leigh" and "Bay of Naples" in Dundee Dock - Ref: WC0764
The "Alice A. Leigh" is seen here in the East Graving Dock at Dundee Harbour, having been put in stern first. The 5-ton crane at the dock head was one of the principle pieces of machinery in the harbour at that time.
The mooring rings at the quayside held vessels in position. A ship's mooring ropes would be fed through the rings and a piece of wood passed through the eye of the rope acted as a toggle to prevent slippage. These were later replaced by fixed bollards.
The vessel was registered to the Alice A. Leigh Shipping Company (manager J. Joyce) of Fenwick Street, Liverpool. The "Bay of Naples" was registered to the Bay Line of Ships (owner J. Bulloch, Fenchurch Avenue, London).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.