Albert Square, Dundee - Ref: WC0005
To the left of this photograph is Dundee High School (the boys' building, which was originally the Public Seminaries).
To the right is the fountain which sat outside the Albert Institute. It was removed when a tree crashed down during a storm and broke the side. 'Rabbie Burns', whose statue stood nearby, wrote to the local paper the next day, expressing his shock.
The church in the centre is Panmure Street Chapel, a congregationalist church. Behind it stands the original Secession Church.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.