Mid Craigie Park, Wednesdays 3:30pm-4:30pm, term-time
Whitfield Green Park, Thursdays 3:30pm-4:30pm, term-time
Play is an essential part of every child’s life and is vital for the enjoyment of childhood as well as social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. Outdoor play can stimulate curiosity, creativity and imagination, whilst building confidence and self-esteem. Sensory rich environments are vital for child development; loose parts play offers children the chance to develop their cognitive ability and enhance their critical thinking skills.
What are Play Rangers?
Play Rangers are dedicated staff and volunteers supporting children to play out in their own streets and parks. Play Rangers will advertise when and where they will be through leaflet drops and local schools and on social media https://www.facebook.com/Dundee-Play-Rangers-1039214556129437/ .
We facilitate free play and provide resources and ideas to encourage exciting, imaginative and creative play opportunities for pre-school to 13 year olds. We are not childcare provision, but we offer parents’ reassurance and children an environment within their local community where they can be physically active, learn, develop and grow.
Children under 9 must be accompanied by an adult, or only left unattended if they would normally play out without parental supervision.
Play Ranger sessions are open access; children are free to come and go as they please, and take place outdoors in all weathers.
Play Rangers work in a person centred free play way, meaning activities undertaken at sessions are child led and can vary constantly. Sample activities can include:
- Den Building using natural resources and recycled materials such as tarpaulin, rope, cardboard, pegs, sticks/branches.
- Art & Crafts using the natural environment; bark/leaf rubbing, drawings etc.
- Imaginative/creative play; e.g. using cardboard boxes, tyres etc to make boats, cars and anything a child may think of.
- Challenging Play; making obstacle courses, balancing games etc.
- Water Play; using guttering & pipes, slides, tarpaulin.
- Traditional games including parachute play, dodgeball, skipping, hula hoops.
The Play Ranger service is funded by Go2Play from Inspiring Scotland. Leisure and Culture Dundee lead the delivery of the Dundee Play Rangers. For more info contact: Averil Anderson 01382 4338866 or email@example.com