Across Dundee, over 250 grandparents, aunts, uncles and family friends care for children because their natural parents are unable to do so. To recognise and support families in these circumstances, Leisure & Culture Dundee has put together a programme of free events in partnership with Dundee City Council during Kinship Carers Week which runs from 15-21 March 2020.
There are Ice Hockey tickets available for Dundee Stars game on Sunday v Cardiff Devils, ice skating entry, snow babies experience for under 5s, golf lessons at Caird Park, family entry to Camperdown Wildlife Centre and sessions with ParkLives and Playrangers at Baxter and Lochee Park.
- Sunday 15 - Dundee Stars Vs Cardiff Devils, Dundee Ice Arena (Must Book), 17:00 – 19:30
- Monday 16 - Public Skate (end ice) Dundee Ice Arena (Must Book), 14:30 – 16:30
- Tuesday 17 - ParkLives – Playrangers, Baxter Park, 15:30 – 16:30
- Wednesday 18 - Golf Dundee – Golf Lesson (all ages) Caird Park Starter Box (Must Book) 16:30 – 18:00
- Thursday 19 - ParkLives – Playrangers, Lochee Park, 15:30 – 16:30
- Friday 20 - Snow Babies (under 5’s), Dundee Ice Arena, (Must Book), 10:00 – 11:00
- Saturday 21 - Family Fun, Camperdown Wildlife Centre (Must Book), 13:00 – 16:00
To book a place call 01382 432259 or email email@example.com. Spaces are limited and please cancel any bookings that can not be attended as a waiting list will be available.
Leisure & Culture Dundee also runs a referral based initiative, Family Active, which supports physical activity that is aimed at reducing sedentary behaviour, promoting positive lifestyle changes and promoting quality family time.
In addtion to this, they manage a supported physical activity programme, Activate, aimed at young people who are experiencing specific health conditions, care experienced young people and particular groups who experience multiple barriers to physical activity participation, with the goal of improving overall health and wellbeing levels.
Both programmes are available to all Kinship Care Families and their young person, referalls are available through their health professional or professional worker.