Streetwise: Willison Street

Name Plate

A passage between Barrack Street and Lindsay Street, was so named after the famous Rev. John Willison, 1680–1750, who was Minister of Brechin Parish Church in 1703–16, and translated to the South Church, Dundee, in 1716, where he remained till his death in 1750, when in his 70th year. There were few Ministers of his time so highly revered by his collaborators and by the laity as Mr Willison. His literary output was extensive, including his “Gospel Hymns”, which are still highly esteemed.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 192

Need this in a different language?