Named after William Urquhart, seedsman, who had a large portion of ground in the locality as a garden. Reference has been made to him in the notice of Cherryfield Lane. He was made a Burgess of Dundee in October 1817, as “an incomer”, showing that he was not a native of the burgh.
The gardening business was carried on by his two sons – David, enrolled as a Burgess in September, 1829 and Edward, similarly entered on the Roll in June, 1842. When the Town Council acquired the gardens for feuing purposes, one of the thoroughfares was named Urquhart Street, and is still known by that designation.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925