Streetwise: Our Lady Gait

Name Plate

The churches had much to do with the naming of streets and closes.

That part of the Nethergait from High Street to Tally Street was called "“ur Lady Gait,” because it formed the access from the east to St. Mary’s Church.

A similar origin may be ascribed to Mid Kirk Style and Kirk Wynd, now Church Street. St. Clement’s Lane stood on the east side of the Church of St. Clement, the original principal church in Dundee, the site which is now occupied by the Old Town House.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925

Need this in a different language?