Streetwise: Meadowside


Meadowside for many centuries was the Public Bleaching Green, and extended from the east side of Albert Square almost to Lochee Road, the water supply being the Scouring Burn, which ran through the ground and joined Tod’s Burn at the north corner of Commercial Street. Ward Road was opened as a finished pathway in June 1803, but the Bleaching Green was still in use till 1825, when the Town Council gave in exchange the ground in Constitution Road for this purpose.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925

Need this in a different language?