Streetwise: Maxwelltown

Name Plate

Maxwelltown was formed by the feuing of ground near the upper part of Hilltown, which belonged to the family of the Maxwells of Tealing. The first Maxwell of Tealing was Eustace, son of Sir William Maxwell of Caerlaverock, having obtained the lands by his marriage, about 1240, with Agnes, heiress of Sir John Gifford, and from him descended a long line of Maxwells, many of whom where distinguished in history.

About 1780, the land at Hilltown was acquired by David Maxwell, Lord Dean of Guild, the last of the name holding the estate of Tealing. When the feuing-plan was prepared setting out the new streets that were to be formed, Maxwell arranged that these should be named after members of the family. This accounts for the names of these streets – Ann Street, Eliza Street, George Street, Alexander Street, Elizabeth Street, and William Street. Several of the members of this branch of the Maxwells were Provosts of Dundee.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925

Need this in a different language?