Streetwise: Makkeson’s Close

Name Plate

Makkeson’s Close was another of the old passages removed when Whitehall Street was formed. It stood to the east of Scott’s Close, and took its name from a leading Dundee family. The name of John Makkesoun appears in the Seal of Cause of the Skinner Craft or Glover Trade in 1516 and in 1539 a charter under the Great Seal refers specifically to the passage as “Makkesoun’s Close”. After many alterations it was latterly designated “Harris’s Entry,” from Roderick Harris, baker, uncle and predecessor of late Bailie William Harris, founder of the Harris Academy.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925

Need this in a different language?