G.L. Wilson,The Corner, Dundee - Ref: WC1869
This department store, on a corner site at Murrraygate and Commercial Street, was founded by Guy Wilson, the son of a Lanarkshire farmer, in 1894. G. L. Wilson's, was popularly known as "The Corner."
Guy Wilson's sons, Garnet and John, joined the family business. Garnet Wilson became a distinguished lord provost of Dundee. The department store closed in December, 1971. The building underwent major redevelopment in the 1990s and is now retail units. The exterior was refurbished to its original state.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.