Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1898
There was a persistent rumour, now largely discredited, that Whitehall Close was once the site of a Royal residence. The residence was supposedly built for King Malcolm III and his wife Margaret in 1070.
Whitehall Close did, however, contain several interesting pieces of old decorated masonry which are now housed in the Old Steeple. Whitehall Close became a slum area in the 19th century and has since been demolished.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.