Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0710
Whitehall Close led from Nethergate in Dundee south to Fish Street. It was demolished in 1883 as part of the development of Whitehall Crescent. The name perhaps originated in a royal residence that was supposedly built in the burgh in the 12th century.
This photograph shows the actual demolition work. The terrible state of the stonework is clear and it is easy to appreciate why there was so much disease by the 1880s, and why the buildings were knocked down.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.