Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0707
The origins of the name Whitehall in Dundee are somewhat obscure. It seems that there may have been a royal palace in the centre of the medieval burgh. Certainly, when the area was cleared in 1883, a wealth of early carved stone was discovered and removed to local museums.
This carving (which possibly shows Adam and Eve, although the precise symbolism is unclear) adorned the outside of one of the houses, showing that the original occupants must have been quite wealthy ‘burghers’ as the townsfolk were known.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.