Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0705
Whitehall Close led from Nethergate in Dundee south to Fish Street. It was demolished in 1883 as part of the development of Whitehall Crescent. The name perhaps originated in a royal residence that was supposedly built in the burgh in the 12th century.
This photograph shows just how narrow the close was. The workman standing to the left has been digging, perhaps to repair water pipes. It is just possible that he was undertaking the preparatory work for some archaeological investigation.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.