Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0704
The area of Dundee known as Whitehall appears to relate to a royal residence in the medieval burgh. Its precise location has not been identified, but during demolition work in the 1880s, several old carved stones were found.
There were several outstanding of early carved stonework in Whitehall Close. The best of them were preserved and taken to a museum in the Old Steeple. This one, perhaps a representation of Adam and Eve, did not survive the destruction.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.