"Westlothian" in Dudnee Harbour - Ref: WC0922
The "West Lothian" (as it appears in all contemporary documents) was an iron four masted full rigged ship, built in 1882 by C. Connell and Co., Glasgow, for J. Boyd, of Glasgow. With a gross tonnage of 1882, she measured 279.5 feet in length.
This photograph by the Dundee jute calender manager, Alexander Wilson, shows the "West Lothian" in the north western corner of the city's Camperdown Dock, near the dock entry to Victoria Dock. The other two ships are unidentified.
The "West Lothian" made at least three visits to Dundee, each time with a cargo of raw jute. On 16th February 1888 and 19th June 1894, she arrived from Calcutta, while on 27th March 1890, she arrived from Chittagong.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.