West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0691
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows Dundee's West Port, with the familiar sight of The Globe with its distinctive clock tower, at the focal point. Hawkhill leads away to the west at the lefthand side, and Scouringburn similarly at the right.
Thomas Aitken was proprietor of The Globe, listed at Nos. 57 and 59 West Port. J. McArtney was the 'general and manufacturing ironmonger, tinsmith, gasfitter, plumber and bakers' utensil maker' at Nos. 51-55. In front of the block was a fountain.
On the far side of the street (still listed as West Port) were the Forfarshire Dairy (run by Mrs Hughes at No. 45) and, at No. 39, a branch of the British Linen Company Bank. At the extreme right is Brown Street, which runs northwards to Lochee Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.