West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0689
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the end of West Port in Dundee, where it merges with Hawkhill, which ran more or less parallel with Perth Road to the Blackness area of the city. Johnston's Lane runs behind the front building.
The Globe public house is listed as William Smith, wines and spirits merchant, No. 57 West Port. This should not be confused with the William Smith who owned several such establishments in the Vault. Next door, at Nos. 51-55 was J. McArtney.
He was a millfurnisher, general and manufacturing ironmonger, tinsmith, gasfitter, plumber and bakers' utensil maker! The workshop was at No. 6 Blinshall Street. No. 1 Hawkhill were Lipton's, the ham curers, butter and cheese merchant and tea importer.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.