West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0688
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the familiar face of Dundee's West Port, the block with the clock in the central tower, which houses the public house known as The Globe. At the time this was taken, the owner was Thomas Aitken.
To the left runs Hawkhill and to the right was Souringburn. Brown Street ran northwards to the right of the photograph. Next door to Aitken's were the premises of the ironmonger, J. McArtney, listed in the Dundee Directory at Nos. 51-55.
Across the road was the Forfarshire Dairy, run by Mrs Hughes, of whom nothing further is known. The cart (drawn by the horse which is drinking in the fountain) belonged to the potato salesman, Peter Drummond, of No. 183 Overgate.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.