Wellgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0684
This photograph shows Dundee's Wellgate, which ran north to the foot of the Hilltown, where there had once been a Lady Well (hence the name). Panmure Street runs off to the left and Cowgate to the east. The photographer stood in Murraygate.
H. McDonald, the outfitter and clothier, was No. 2 Wellgate (and Nos. 20-22 Panmure Street). Henry Robertson owned the coffee and dining rooms at No. 8 Wellgate. George Walker, the confectioner, had a shop at No. 10. The Steps can be seen in the distance.
J and W Kerr had a shoe shop at No. 3, and Nathaniel Sutton was the 'costumier' at No. 1. The News Box, advertised at No. 1 Cowgate, belonged to James Cunningham. The sign for David Anderson refers to his dancing class at No. 20 Panmure Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.