Weigh House, Dundee - Ref: WC5426
The photograph shows a Weigh house which was probably owned by J Cowan, Salt Merchant and also Downies Coffee House. This was owned by John Downie in 1891. In 1892 it had moved to Whitehall Crescent and was then run by Charles Downie
The Greenmarket appears to have provided everything for those whom money was scarce. There were butchers, cheese stand, ironmongers, and dried fruit stalls, There was an early photograph booth and probably clothes stalls as well.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.