Ward Road, Dundee (south side) - Ref: WC0676
This photograph from Dundee Central Library's Alexander Wilson Collection shows the south side of Dundee's Ward Road, from the junction with Barrack Street, running south at the left-hand side. The Ward Road Baptist Church of 1894 is at the left.
The Water Commissioners' yard is at No. 14, while the Ward Street Gymnasium is next door. The library's Lamb Collection 116 (20) contains a circular to encourage the patronage of Dundee's newly-combined gymnastic clubs among the well-to-do.
There are also several brochures detailing classes and prices from 1892/3. At No. 18 was J. T. Inglis and Sons, cover and sackmakers. According to the Dundee Directory, they (Jeffrey, Harry and Robert) lived in Balgillo Road, Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.