Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0680
Strictly speaking, this photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the north side of the western section of Meadowside. It was only renamed Ward Road at a later date (perhaps when the new Post Office was built in 1898?)
In the foreground is the Howff graveyard, an ancient burial ground, the land granted to the Greyfriars for that purpose by Mary Queen of Scots in 1564. The west wall (unseen) features blind arcading, which may originally have been open archways.
The buildings shown housed the Police and Water and the Gas Commissions, agencies of the Town Council. There were five police divisions: eastern, western, central, northern and Lochee, with more beats in the evening than during the day.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.