Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0679
The south side of Ward Road in Dundee is seen in this Alexander Wilson photograph, with the junction with Barrack Street, which leads southwards to Overgate, just to the east and left.
The lower buildings at the left were the auction rooms of Robert Curr at No. 10. These were demolished to make way for the Barrack Street Museum, opened by Andrew Carnegie, who financed the building, in 1911. The design was by James Thomson.
The Ward Road Baptist Church, built in 1894, whose church officer at this time was Charles Davidson, is next, then the offices and works of the Water Commission, where Alexander Grieve was water inspector and David Towns the storekeeper.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.