Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0672
This photograph technically shows the north side of the western section of Dundee's Meadowside. It was remained Ward Road at some time in the 20th century. The city's Howff graveyard stands to the south, visible here at the righthand side.
T.C. Cuthbert's Coachbuilding works was established in Dundee by George Cuthbert, a native of Perth. The Meadowside works opened in 1880, and were the largest such premises in North-East Scotland at the time. It was replaced by the new Post Office.
Beyond Cuthbert's were the offices of various municipal commissions, such as the Police and Water, and Gas. Dundee Central Library's Local Studies department has volumes of minutes from various meetings of the time. Among them are various solicitors.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.