Victoria Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0669
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of Victoria Road in Dundee, which leads from the city centre at Meadowside east north east towards Forfar, with Forebank Street just out of shot to the right.
James Smith, the painter and decorator (some designs can actually be seen in the window), was No. 78 Victoria Road. He lived at No. 101. The fruiterer at No. 76 was Annie Morrison. P & A Penny is listed in the Dundee Directory as Peter Penny, saddler.
Trinity Evangelical Union church, designed by J. G. Fairley, was opened in December 1877 by Dr James Morison, founder of the movement. The Victoria Calendar (jute finishing works), built by Robertson & Orchar in 1874-5, was later turned into flats.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.