Vault, Town Hall, Dundee - Ref: WC2142
Dundee's first church St Clement's was abandoned after the building of St Mary's in the Fields (City Churches). The site and its kirkyard, known as the Vault, became first a tolbooth and was then given over to building.
The Vault is no longer there. On the site today are Whitehall Crescent and the City Square. In the photograph the clock tower of the Town House can be seen. This building is also no longer there. It was demolished in 1932.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.