The Vault, Dundee - Ref: WC0662
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows The Vault, an area to the south of Dundee's Town House, on the High Street, which was predominantly residential, with a considerable number of public houses.
William Smith owned Nos. 5, 9 and 11, as well as The Queen's Hotel in Nethergate, and additionally had a bottling company, which handled Edinburgh and Burton ales, and London and Dublin stouts. William S. McNab's leather warehouse was No. 1.
The most interesting feature of this photograph, however, is the highly ornate public convenience at the righthand side. At this date, it can only have been for the use of gentlemen, for it was not considered appropriate that ladies use such things.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.