Union Street (south), Dundee - Ref: WC0656
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the bottom of Dundee's South Union Street and the side of the Craig Street Fish Market, both of which were demolished during the construction of the Tay Bridge and the associated land reclamation.
The advertising hoardings on the market were put up by McArthur's, who the Dundee Directory describes as 'merchants & dealers in pictorial posters, enameled iron tablets and plates', with offices at No. 44 High Street and a warehouse at No. 8 Overgate.
In addition, they had a timber yard in Ladywell Place. Local businesses in the posters are Patterson's boots and Paterson's pianos. The fish merchant whose store is pictured was most likely George Cantrell, who lived at Hermon Cottage, No. 7 Well Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.