Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0651
This photograph is taken from Nethergate, looking southwards down Dundee's Union Street towards the two railway stations, the lefthand corner dominated by Albion House, and the opposite one by The Metropole Bar, which stood under Russel's Royal Hotel.
Other identifiable businesses on the western side are James Stewart, perfumer and hairdresser at No. 7, and George Spence, fruit merchant at No. 9. The Metropole is listed in the Dundee Directory for 1903-04 as a restaurant.
The jeweller at No. 52 Nethergate (extreme right) was Richard McCormack. Albion House, No. 40 Nethergate, belonged to William Menzies, wholesale and retail draper and ladies' outfitter, but is not listed until the next issue of the Dundee Directory.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.