Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0647
This photograph shows the southern end of Dundee's Union Street, where it meets Yeaman Shore to the west and left and Whitehall Crescent to the east and right.
H.G. Dixon is last listed in the Dundee Directory for 1897-98 at No. 50 Union Street; this is the same George Dixon who owned the shop at No. 41 High Street and who patented various improvements to the design of early cycles, seats and tyres.
The other shops match the Dundee Directory for 1896-97, with George Paton appearing at No. 39 Union Street. Among the residents of No. 43 was Miss M. Thomson, listed as a feathercleaner. Her entry in the names listing also has dyer, curler and furrier.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.