Unidentified ship in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0937
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows a steamship beside the No. 4 storage shed in Dundee's Harbour some time around the turn of the 20th century.
The masts of a sailing ship can be seen on the far side of the sheds, suggesting that it is berthed in the King William IV Dock, with the steamer in the Earl Grey Dock. The latter was most likely used as part of the coastal trade fleet.
Steamships made regular sailings from Dundee to London to pick up goods, to Newcastle and North and South Shields for coal, and to Liverpool for other imported goods. They also carried small numbers of passengers.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.