Unidentified ship in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0928
This photograph from a collection taken by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, has been labelled on the wrong side, as can be seen by the Old Steeple appearing to be east of the spire of St Paul's Cathedral.
None of the three ships in the city's Victoria Dock can be identified, although the two sailing ships are clearly jute carriers, apparently recently arrived from either Calcutta or Chittagong, judging by the state of their hulls.
The steamer, with its two masts, is a complete mystery. At the end of the storage sheds is the Italianate Customs House, built in 1842-43 to designs by James Leslie and John Taylor, including three storeys with 13 sets of bay windows.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.