Two unidentified ships in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0942
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows two sailing ships in the eastern part of Dundee Harbour. To the left is a gas tank, which held the city's supply.
The sheds to the right were used for storing unloaded cargo prior to it being transported to the various Dundee factories. The water appears to be covered with wood.
The two ships are two masted and quite small, so they are most likely whalers, perhaps harbouring prior to a voyage to the frozen expanses of Greenland and the Davis Straits, where seals and walrus were also caught for bone, oil and skins.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.