"Tuskar" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0918
This photograph by Alexander Wilson actually shows an iron screw-steamer called the "Tuskar", which was built in 1863 by Blackwood and Gordon of Port Glasgow for W. Langlands and Son of Glasgow.
She measured 181.5 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 465. She is pictured in Early Grey Dock at Dundee Harbour, in front of No. 3 storage shed. Just in front of her funnel is the Royal Arch, erected in 1848 to celebrate Victoria's visit in 1844.
The Dundee Advertiser of 10th July 1889 lists a visit to Dundee with goods from Liverpool. The master of the vessel (for that and subsequent visits that year) was called MacPherson, and the agent for the cargo was J. T. Inglis and Co.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.