"Toxteth" In Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0916
Oswald, Mordaunt and Co., of Southampton built the "Toxteth", an iron three masted ship, in 1887 for the Sailing Ship "Toxteth" Co., of Liverpool. She visited Dundee with cargoes of raw jute, which were processed in the city's many mills and calenders.
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the "Toxteth" berthed in front of the distinctive "Clock Tower Warehouse", which still stands near Dock Street in Dundee. It was taken about two weeks after the vessel arrived from Calcutta.
The voyage had taken 112 days. As the ship is lying quite high in the water and there is no visible damage to the hull, we can assume that she has been unloaded, repaired and re-painted, as was common practice.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.