Town House, Dundee - Ref: WC1792
The Town House was designed by William Adam and completed in 1731. The ground level piazza was a popular area known as the pillars. As well as official chambers the Town House contained prison cells complete with leg irons.
The cells in the attic were not particularly secure and were often used for debtors. There was, however a condemned cell in the basement, known as the "Thief's Hole." The Town House was demolished in 1932.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.