Three Ships in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0857
The three ships in this photograph by Alexander Wilson are the "Loudon Hill", the "County of Linlithgow" and the "Tilkhurst" (the original caption has "Tickhurst", but this is incorrect).
All three arrived in Dundee Harbour in April 1888 with jute: The "Tilkhurst" brought 1527 tons from Chittagong, the "Loudon Hill" brought 2000 tons from Chittagong and the "County of Linlithgow" brought 2122 tons from Calcutta.
The difference between the "Loudon Hill" (a four masted barque) and the "County of Linlithgow" (a four masted full rigged ship built at Glasgow in 1887) is the rigging on the rearmost mast, and can be clearly seen in this photograph.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.