"Teazer" and "Esquimaux" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0912
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows two vessels in Dundee Harbour. The "Teazer", in the tidal ferry harbour, was a paddle steamer, built and registered in North Shields (SN 1093).
The "Esquimaux", which is berthed in the south western corner of King William IV Dock, with the 1848 Royal Arch at the left background, was a wooden screw steamship, square rigged with three masts, built by Stephens of Dundee in 1865.
With a gross tonnage of 593 and measuring 157.3 feet in length, she was owned by David Bruce, Dundee, and saw service as a whaling ship. Sold in 1900 for the Baldwin Polar Expedition, she was re-fitted and renamed "America".
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.