Tay Square, Dundee - Ref: WC0627
Tay Square in Dundee stands to the west of South Tay Street. This photograph by Alexander Wilson was taken from somewhere in front of Tay Square United Free Church, looking north.
Over the last decade of the 19th century, few of the residents changed. No. 9, the block was James H. W. Laing MA, BSc, MB, CM, FSAScot. (an antiquarian), while No. 10 was David Ogilvy, tailor, and No. 11 Peter Steven FRCSE (a surgeon).
In 1900-01, No. 10 is also listed as principal of The Civil Service Academy, William K. Smith CTP, IPS Hon, who also taught at the (unseen) original Harris Academy building, listed as No. 6 Tay Square, where James Brebner was rector.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.