Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1657
Photograph from Alexander Wilson collection. The photograph shows the completed bridge with final work being done to the approaches.
In 1869 The North British Railway set up the Tay Bridge Undertaking to build a bridge across the Tay. In May 1871, the contract was awarded to Charles De Bergue to build a bridge in three years at a cost of £217,099.18s.6d.
The contract was taken over by Hopkins, Gilkes & Co of Middlesborough. The building took longer than three years and the cost rose to £350,000.000. Some 20 workmen were killed during the construction.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.