Tay Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1655
Photograph from Alexander Wilson collection.
Although the bridge was completed in August 1877, months were to pass before the Bridge was passed by the Board of Trade inspectors. Tests carried out included running a train pulling six locomotives across the bridge weighing 438 tons.
Tests for vertical dead weight and lateral oscillation were carried out, but tragically none for wind pressure. After three days the Government inspectors declared the bridge to be safe and fit for use.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.